Friday, March 14, 2008

Senior police officer hospitalized after attack by wife

A senior police officer in Bangalore was admitted to a private hospital here after his angry wife bit him.

Sushanth S Mahapatra, an officer of the rank of Additional Director General of Police, was admitted to a private hospital with wounds inflicted on his left arm and cheek after his wife attacked him and bit him.

The police official, who is among the contenders for the post of Bangalore City Police Commissioner after the term of present incumbent N Achuta Rao ends, promptly lodged a complaint with the jurisdictional police station seeking action against his wife.

Though the police obliged by registering a case, they have not yet arrested her and are hoping the husband and wife will patch up.

According to the complaint lodged by Mahapatra, who heads the Directorate of Civil Rights Enforcement in Bangalore, his wife Sadhana not only bit him, but also tried to stab him with a knife.

In his complaint, Mahapatra said his “foul tempered” wife had never allowed his father, mother or siblings to stay with him in his official quarters after marriage. When his 77-year-old father, a retired principal in Orissa, came down to his house recently, the police official’s wife did not permit the elderly person, who was physically weak and sick, to stay in the house, he said.

“I had to arrange separate accommodation for my father at the residence of my deceased mother’s foster daughter. Since my father was having severe health problems, I am bound to spend time with him. This caused a major heartburn to my wife”, the senior police officer said in the complaint, giving the background of the attack.

The attack took place on March 7, when Mahapatra went to his house in Jeevanbhima Nagar collect clothes and also to speak to his daughters, who were appearing for exams. “I was accompanied by my driver and constable attached to the office. Just after I entered the house, Sadhana became violent and attacked me. She bit me on the left arm and cheek. Further, she rushed towards me holding a knife with the intention of stabbing me”, the police official said.

Mahapatra came out of the house and took initial treatment at Bowring Hospital. Later, he was admitted to City Hospital on West of Chord Road as an in-patient or treatment of his wounds. “Since there was severe bleeding, I could not lodge a complaint earlier”, he said in the police complaint.

No comments: